5 Signs Your Car Needs an Alignment
Updated: Feb 11
We know that your car often needs your attention, with warning lights on the dash, frequent trips to the petrol station and the annual service and MOT it soon feels like there is always something to sort on your car to keep in in tip top condition and ready for your next journey.
Many of us deal with poor wheel alignment on a daily basis and its easy for it to go unnoticed or easy to ignore but having the correct wheel alignment can be one of the easiest and cost-effective trips to the garage you can make.
Not only will it save you money in the long run-on on tyres, but the handling of your car in all conditions will often be dramatically improved.
Here are 5 common signs your car needs an alignment.
1. Steering wheel not centred. When you are driving down a flat, level road, your steering wheel should be sitting closely to perfectly straight. Roads are designed with some camber so allow for that when checking this and always do it when its safe. If your steering wheel isn’t central, then it’s time to get it checked. This is also a good point to make if you have recently had your alignment or tracking done you should get the car back and the steering wheel should be in the correct place.
2. Vehicle Pulls to one side or the other. Again, this is easiest to notice when driving down a flat and even road. A common mistake people make is expecting their car to drive perfectly straight when on a flat road when they take their hands off the steering wheel. Not only is this dangerous but roads are designed with camber, so this is not a good way to check. Your vehicle should drive straight ahead with minimal effort on the steering wheel. If your car feels like it is pulling to one side or the other its time to get it checked and adjusted.
3. Abnormal Tyre Wear. We most commonly see this when it comes to MOT time. Tyre worn close to legal limit on inner or outer edge. This means that you have not had full use of your tyres as they have worn unevenly. While this can be contributed to suspension or tyre pressure issues it’s worth noting that it can also be down to poor alignment. Get the most out of your tyres by checking the alignment before you are shelling out on new tyres before they wear evenly.
4. Handling feels loose. You should always feel in control of your vehicle. If you feel like the car is loose or wandering when you are driving, it is a good indication that your wheel alignment is out. Get it checked.
5. Your steering wheel does not return to centre. After completing a turn, the steering wheel should naturally start to return to centre as you drive. But if your steering wheel doesn’t even attempt to move itself back to centre then it’s a good indication that your alignment is off. Get an alignment check done to see if it needs adjustment.
Car Friend offer a FREE alignment check. This comes with a visual print out of your cars current alignment status. From then we can make adjustments to get it back on track and where it should be.
Alignments or Tracking starts from just £45 and we can offer a fixed price for your vehicle. Call us on 01543 276060 to get yours booked in today.